A spotlight on the four poster bed... And how to dress your bed
This week, we're putting a spotlight on the four poster bed and introducing to you Raft's Milbrook Bed, a contemporary twist on a classic. A design statement, a four poster bed is like a room within a room. For this reason, it's important to know how to style it and how to dress your bed, in general. In this piece, we share expert advice from our Head of Visual Merchandising.
The Milbrook Bed: A contemporary twist on the four poster bed
Elegant bedroom settings that exude fairytale aesthetics and indulgence are often envisioned with a four poster bed at centre stage. We’re forever indebted to the original concept but welcome the pared-down models of today, reflecting contemporary preferences for minimalist interiors.
There’s no denying the timelessness of the classic model; so, Raft’s design team worked tirelessly to create one that captures the original essence of luxury while giving it a natural and contemporary twist. The Milbrook Bed is simple with clean lines that complement a range of interiors, whether your bedroom is furnished traditionally or with minimalism in mind.
How to dress your bed, according to our Head of Visual Merchandising
- The most important thing to remember when dressing your bed is layering. Create a sumptuously inviting base layer with a fitted sheet followed by a flat sheet folded delicately over your duvet.
- We love clean, crisp white bed linen. Linen is the perfect choice for your bedding because it’s a natural material with anti-allergenic and ventilating properties. Opting for linen bedding will ensure year-round comfort, with a naturally breathable quality that will keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. White is best to enhance the beauty of the wood and highlight the bed frame.
- Next, layer your linen with a soft, textured throw to give your bedroom depth and detail. Due to our love of layering we would even encourage opting for more than one throw; however, we generally abide by a rule of asymmetry. For example, two cushions and one throw or three cushions and two throws.
- At the head of the bed style large, full, plumped pillows to give the spread an inviting look of luxury and comfort. As well as the regular pillows, a couple of scatter cushions will make a statement and can be rotated with the seasons.
- Finally, a small bench or a blanket box at the foot of the bed is always a beautiful and practical finishing touch.