In honour of National BBQ Week 2020... dress your table fit for these gorgeous BBQ recipes
When we discovered that it was National BBQ Week, we didn't need to be told twice. Since the sun started shining, we've been polishing our BBQ tongs and dusting off our cocktail kits in preparation for some show stopping lockdown BBQs. We've already written a blog on How to host the perfect weekend BBQ during lockdown and we implore you to give it a read if you're stuck for the finishing touches to make your British Summertime BBQ extra special. However, everyone knows that what is served up on your plate is what makes or breaks a BBQ. Luckily, our Brand Manager, Siobhan Quinn, is a keen cook and has been using this time in lockdown to experiment with food and drink. Below we share our new favourite cocktail recipe and how to make Asian-style sweet and sticky chicken wings.
How to set your table for a garden BBQ in 5 steps
When it comes to dressing your garden table we love low-key minimalism that speaks for itself in the surroundings and sunshine. Although we occasionally advocate bright colours and loud prints for your interiors, as a seasonal refresh or to make a statement, we prefer neutral tones in a garden setting. Earthy teaks, charcoal slate, glass and linens are our garden styling holy grail.
1. Treat your home to some garden furniture that is both stylish and comfortable, encouraging long, blanket-clad evenings filled with cocktails, your favourite BBQ recipes and great conversation.
2. Some rustic, matching earthenware crockery will maintain the relaxed vibe that every BBQ needs while stripping away the formality of indoor dining. We wholeheartedly recommend the Nordic Sand tableware collection for its authentic, textured feel and light grey glazed finish.
3. Whether you're filling your glasses with champagne, lemonade or Gin and Tonic, you need glasses that you're proud to see the light of day. Tumblers, wine glasses and champagne flutes are a safe bet when it comes to stocking up on new glassware.
4. We're keen on green at Raft so in our homes we always opt for fabric napkins that are reusable and easy to clean. Linen is our favourite, in neutral greys, of course...
5. A teak serving board is the perfect finishing touch to a garden BBQ that screams unique style and rustic sophistication. Once you've mastered the below recipes, you'll be proud to present them on a teak board to add depth and texture to your garden BBQ table.
- 1 part tequila
- 1 part cointreau
- 1 part freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 part passion fruit juice
- Passion fruit seeds and a wedge of lime to garnish
- To salt the rim: Rub the rim of a tumbler with a wedge of lime and press the glass upside down into a plate of sea salt.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and combine the tequila, cointreau, lime juice and passion fruit juice. Shake until cocktail shaker frosts.
- Strain into a tumbler and add some ice cubes to each glass.
- Garnish with passion fruit seeds and a wedge of lime.
Sweet and Sticky Chicken Wings
- 1kg chicken wings
- 80ml hoisin sauce
- 100 ml low salt soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon of chilli sauce (or more if you like it spicier)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- A good grinding of black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 spring onions or bunch of chives chopped
- Cook the wings on BBQ for approximately 15 minutes, turning often.
- Mix the ingredients together in a small bowl to make a sauce.
- Remove the chicken wings from the oven and baste with the sauce.
- Continue to cook for another 5 minutes (basting regularly). Keep an eye on them to make sure the marinade doesn’t burn.
- Heat any remaining marinade for one minute and baste just before serving or use as a dip.
- To garnish, sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions or chives.