Creating a cosy reading corner is a personal interior design project that you will never regret undertaking. With the ability to offer an unused nook a magnetic force, creating a cosy reading corner is the ultimate act of self-care. These reading corner ideas will transform an unused corner or alcove into a haven for relaxation and guilt-free indulgence.
Step by step guide to creating the perfect cosy reading corner
1. Declutter a quiet and unused corner or alcove so you're starting with a blank canvas.
2. Natural lighting is an asset so take advantage of it as an interior design tool. If near a window or source of natural light, position your corner so that the light is to your back, illuminating your book as opposed to your face.
3. Choose a statement armchair that speaks to your style. You might opt for a luxurious, regal seat with a high back and ornate details or a simple armchair with sumptuous cushioning for an indulgent sitting experience.
4. Layer lighting options such as floor and table lamps to create a cosy ambience and intrigue.
5. Create warmth and texture with throws and scatter cushions. The reading corner should be inviting and cosy. You might even be tempted to add a footstool or chaise for extra comfort.
6. Take advantage of the beauty of books - they're invaluable decor. We love built-in book cases and display cabinets but if your space doesn't allow for it, a side table or storage cube stacked with your favourite reads is perfect, too.
The best armchairs for a reading corner
The Seattle is the perfect choice for a reading corner when space is at a premium. Sleek and streamlined, the clean lines and slender frame of the Seattle makes it an excellent choice for Scandi style interiors. Elevated on elegant legs, this armchair offers indulgence and comfort in a way that nods to the furniture style of the 1950s. Maximising space doesn't mean compromising on style. An iconic silhouette.
If you’re looking for vintage style that boasts simultaneous class and support, this traditional wingback design with scrolled arms is perfect for you. The Havana's high back will support your neck and back and invites you to get lost in a book. We especially love the vintage Tudor Cracked Brown leather for a look of luxury and elegance.
For those of you who love American art deco style (like us), the Oscar armchair is the perfect choice. With its curved arms and exaggerated rake, the Oscar armchair exudes comfort and relaxation. A contemporary twist on the American art deco design, each Oscar armchair is made by hand in England by our skilled artisans. As we offer a bespoke service, this armchair can be made in any of our fabrics or leathers with various size options available.
Lincoln Chair and a Half
Sumptuously soft and inviting, there's nothing like cosying up into the Lincoln Chair and a Half. The rounded armrests, soft lines and plump cushions exude comfort and relaxation. This inviting model can be personalised with your choice of designer-chosen scatter cushions. All cushions are easy-plump, feather-wrapped foam for a sumptuous sit-down... or choose bespoke interiors to suit your preference.
The best lamps for a reading corner
A slimline, space-saving lamp that will add a subtle flair to any interiors. A contemporary piece in stature but with a beautiful, antique brass finish. Perfect for tightly packed reading corners in need of an elegant addition of soft lighting.
Make a statement with the stunning Harvard Table Lamp. This piece is bold and ornate and juxtaposed with that gorgeous open weave linen shade, the effect is perfect. Enjoy some moody, warm lighting for your atmospheric reading corner.
The Chalgrove Lamp is compact and sleek making it an ideal choice for a small reading corner. Made of two cylinders, the exterior being glass and the inner mesh metal, this lamp gives off an ambient, moody hue, setting a romantic and cosy reading corner scene. Choose from black or silver.